Sunday, March 20, 2011

My favorite places for musical items - and music

Where do you go to get your musical instruments and gear?  I have tried a variety of stores, catalogs, and web sites over the years, from places around the world, and these are my favorites:

Elderly Instruments is a national treasure.  The folks in Lansing, Michigan offer a treasure trove of instruments, strings, straps, and other items, as well as CDs and music books.  Always friendly, always knowledgeable.

Musician's Friend is where I go for my electric instruments, amps, and gear.  Great selection, good pricing, a catalog to salivate over -- and don't forget to check out their Stupid Deal of the day!

The House of Musical Traditions is a wonderful folk music store in Takoma Park, Maryland -- well worth a visit if you're ever in the area, but they also sell via their web site.  Lovely people who really care about what they sell -- I enjoyed buying my new Eastman 504 mandolin from them.

And then there's the music.  These days, I buy almost all my music via the Web, in digital format.  I never go anywhere without my iPod classic, which holds my entire music collection (Side question: When did "old-fashioned" mean that I prefer an iPod classic to the Touch or Nano?), but I rarely buy from iTunes.  Instead, I rely on two main sources:

Amazon MP3 offers a good (and expanding) selection, with easy downloads that have never failed me.  Easy, fast, and often a little cheaper than iTunes.  Make sure to check out their Daily Deal (most at $3.99 or $2.99) and Free Song of the Day.

eMusic is simultaneously frustrating and inspiring.  They may not always have what your looking for, but you will instead invariably stumble on music/musicians that you love, but would never have found were it not for eMusic.  I dislike some of their recent changes to their subscription packages and methods of pricing, but continue to find great deals on great artists/albums/songs.  Worth exploring, to see if the gain is worth the occasional irritations.

No comments:

Post a Comment