Sunday, March 13, 2011

Tab Talk

Am I the only person in the world who actually likes the Samsung Galaxy Tab?

Now let me be honest here -- I want the Apple iPad 2.  I also want the Motorola Xoom.  I'm confident that I will want the Blackberry PlayBook and the HP TouchPad once they are fully available.  I like new gadgets (like many of you).

But "want" doesn't equal "need" -- and I am truly comfortable with the Galaxy Tab. In fact, I am more comfortable with it than I was with the first iPad.  It's simply a better fit for my smallish hands -- I love that I can easily hold it in one hand while tapping, writing (I love Swype!), or reading while eating lunch.  Android is way behind Apple for apps, but has more than enough to meet my needs and desires.  It is ultra-easy to carry around, but large enough for use.

The Galaxy Tab is by no means perfect -- it desperately needs the ability to stream Netflix and other video.  It needs to be faster.  And it needs to be LESS EXPENSIVE -- to successfully compete with the iPad, Android tablets need to sell for less than the iPad.  This morning, I saw the Tab offered for $249.99, but that's with a 2-year contract with T-Mobile.  But imagine a Galaxy Tab for less than $250, without a contract, or a Xoom for $350, or a PlayBook or TouchPad for less than the iPad -- but now I'm back into "want" again...

No comments:

Post a Comment